Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Why working part time is not all it is cracked up too



Well, I have the best of both worlds, most of the time. I work part time, I love my job, I love being a mother.... but sometimes it is so hard to work part time and have children at home with you on your days OFF, and you have national mandatory teleconferences on your days OFF.


For example, I dial into the teleconference today at 4pm. I tried to time the naps around this, so I can have peace and quiet AND learn a little bit at the same time. But since Sawyer has the croup and he was up ALL night, he took a morning nap... and was UP for the teleconference.

I told him that I would play with him, until the teleconference started, then he would have to be really quiet.

Well this is what quiet involved. As I was waiting for the teleconference to start... the first words had not even been stated yet.

Sawyer- "MOMMY, (crying hysterically), my butt hurts."
Mommy- "WHAT???"
Sawyer- "My butt hurts mommy."

So I proceeded to look at his butt. the only thing I could come up with, was that he didn't want the "BABY" diaper that I had put on him, since he peed in his pull up's. so I rearranged the diaper and said, "All better."

Sawyer then ran off for about 5 seconds... the man on the teleconference started up on slide 3.... and then on slide 4...
Sawyer- "MOMMY (sceaming with sweat beads on his nose), my butt hurts."

So I proceeded to pick him up and pull his "BABY" diaper out to look at his butt... and what did I see????

STINKY, coming right straight out of you know where. OH MY GOODNESS! Cleaning it up is one thing... seeing it come out... GROSS!

I ran him to the potty, telling him that he is a big boy and he needed to stinky on the potty. Now the telephone is in the other room. I sat him down on the potty, ran back to get the phone.... SLIDE 13! Are you kidding me???? I missed that much!!!

So I then proceeded to listen to the teleconference sitting in the bathroom, while Sawyer whined about not wanted to stinky on the potty. I listened as good as I could, and I went back through the slides after the teleconference was over... but man, it is so hard to do both jobs (mother and real work) with little children that are so needy. Can you imagine if both of the kids would have been up????

Now I have to go through this all over, on Friday... but for 3 long hours! How am I going to survive??????






At least he was sleeping!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Angela Standley said...

Jodi-
I understand...working from home was way harder than anyone can imagine, especially with two! I feel your pain!
Angela

Lisa Hardee said...

You are such a good mom! Don't ever feel like you are alone. Even working only part-time is very hard (and I have one in school each day.) Listen to Mary E.'s blog song when you have one of those days. "It won't be like this for long." Love ya and remember I'm only a mile away if you need me.

Mary Evans said...

I can't imagine working from home and being a mommy at the same time- I don't know how you do it- just remember one day they will be grown and out of the house and you will miss these crazy-I am about to loose my mind days!
hang in there
mary